Thursday, November 02, 2006

The End of an Era

This is a weird morning for me.
Here I am, sitting at my computer, trying to get my head around the fact that this lunch-time, Burnie will be coming home from work
for the very last time ever!

I'm thinking - boy, if I'm having trouble trying to absorb this fact, I can't begin to imagine how Burnie is feeling right now, as he makes the final rounds of all the offices - throughout at least a couple of buildings - saying goodbye to all his workmates... wiping all his pictures & emails from his computer's hard drive... cleaning out his desk.... and writing final instructions for those who will be taking over his dutes.
There must be an overwhelming brew of mixed emotions churning through his gut at this moment.

We went to his retirement luncheon yesterday. The turnout for it was amazing - apparently one of the biggest crowds ever for a retirement do. I felt so proud of Burnie, as the glowing tributes to him flowed freely from each corner of the room.
I know they meant everything they said about him. You can tell when a speech is heartfelt.

There is no doubt he's going to be missed.

But their loss is my gain.
The future is about to open up to a brand new adventure for us. As sad as Burnie must be feeling at this moment, I know that he's been looking forward to this day for a long time.

Lets see... how many more minutes to go? Hmmmm I'd say about 3 hours. That is, if he can tear himself away from the place, when the time comes.
Yesterday I asked some of his buddies if they would please throw him out, if he stays too long into the afternoon. :)

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Burnie said...

If you think your time was going slow you should have tried running my clock...it was just the opposite..to much to do and not enough time...finally had to Ctrl/Alt/Del...now dear are you sure you want me around 100%????
We will see...;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home