Thursday, April 06, 2006

Much to my surprise...

When I decided to log in here today, who knew there actually would be replies to my posts?!
Heck if I'd known there were going to be responses, I would have looked sooner, and acknowledged them long before now!
Sorry if anyone thought I was ignoring them. I'm not what you would call a regular blogger. I have enough trouble staying up to date reading other people's blogs. (Now that the whole fan damily is writing them!)

Thanks for the input guys!
And I'm very happy to make your acquaintance, Lyndsay #2! I've been a fan of your blog comments for awhile now. ;)

Anyway... I thought I'd better bring you up to date on the name issue.

Turns out the little fella knew his original name all along. I did a test "call" the other day.
I waited until there was no sign of him around, then I went into the bathroom in the centre of the house and called him.
As soon as I shouted "Gerry! Here Gerry!", I heard a thump somewhere in another part of the house, and then the bump bump bump of his big clodhopper paws plodding down the hall & into the bathroom.
(You should see the size of his paws btw... which, as we speak, I have to keep peeling off the keyboard!)

Turns out he answers to Gerry. I hadn't expected him to know his name at only 4 months of age, but he does seem to be a smart little gaffer.q1woi <---- That last bit was Gerry's comment.

It's Gerry with a "G" rather than a "J", as Lyndsay has pointed out to me. That's how it's spelled on his adoption papers.

Gerry is the equivalent of a hyperpactive 4 year-old boy. He only stops moving when he's in a deep sleep. He's into everything - almost simultaneously, as his attention span is even shorter than that of a 4 year-old boy with ADD.
I've had to clean soil off the den floor from the big plant everyday. He gets in there - as you saw from the photos - and throws the dirt into every direction. He's recently discovered the joys of climbing that tall plant, too.

With his way-too-long lanky legs, & huge, snow-hare-like paws, he's a clumsy as a bull in a china shop. He falls down from things regularly, either because he misjudges distances for jumps & lands on the floor, or he skids across desks & other surfaces & shoots off the other end - and lands on the floor.

He & Cleo are showing some minor signs of beginning to accept each other, but there are still lots of scuffles, which, I think sound nastier than they really are.

Yesterday, they discovered a mutual interest - cardboard boxes. They actually had fun playing the "poking-the-paw-through-the-hole" game with each other for awhile, until they remembered that they don't like each other.

Today, there was another momentary lapse of hatred when they learned how much fun it is to peek-a-boo each other though the slats of the laundry basket.

Well... enough boring you with my kitty tales. Things have become ominously quiet. I'd better go check upstairs. :)


2 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

He sounds so adorable. Can't wait to see him. I want another kitten, but with the baby or babies on the way I guess i have to wait.
Tam

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

I love the kitty stories, don't ever stop with the updates. It's nice to meet you too by the way, and thanks for enjoying my comments.. I hope I didn't say anything too stupid! Sometimes I forget who actually reads all this stuff! hehe Bye for now
Lynds2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home